Each year NYSAVT awards one outstanding student from each of our technical colleges a student scholarship. This award will be presented to a NYSAVT student member who has been an active member of the association and their community, providing leadership and contributing to the Association and the overall betterment of the Veterinary Medical Profession.
Any NYSAVT member in good standing may nominate a student member for this award. Consideration will be given to the following criteria:
- Years of membership in NYSAVT
- GPA and transcripts
- Leadership positions held within nominee’s NYSAVT School Chapter
- Leadership positions held within the veterinary technician community at large
- Participation in professional development and continuing education
- Community Service
- Special Achievements
In addition to the above criteria, students must submit a 350-500 word essay that addresses one of the topics below:
1. Why is it important to you be a member of NYSAVT? How does being a member of your association help the profession?
2. Many people are unsure what veterinary technicians do and how important they are. How would you explain the profession and its importance to someone who didn't know?
3. There are over 4,000 licensed veterinary technicians in New York. Write a letter to those who are not yet members of NYSAVT and explain to them why you feel they should be a member of their state association.
The NYSAVT Executive Board will review all nominations and a majority vote will determine the winner. The recipient of the NYSAVT Student Scholarship will be announced at NYSAVT’s Annual Spring Seminar in April. The recipient of this award will receive (2) complimentary tickets to the Spring Seminar Banquet and Awards Ceremony, and a $200 cash award to be used to further their educational endeavors and pursuit of licensure as a Veterinary Technician.
*Students may self nominate, or be nominated by a peer, professor, etc., but a personal essay from the nominee must be included along with the submission.
Please complete and submit the form by March 1st. To submit the paper application, click here and submit by email at email@example.com (please include Student Scholarship and the nominee’s name in the subject line), or fax: 866-496-4947.